Hankido
Church People
John Woo
Cindy Liu
Hankido People
Lucille
Kenny

Monday, September 30, 2002


DON'T BELIEVE THE MOVIES

So we did free sparring and dagger defenses today in our advanced workout. Okay, so I was really looking forward to advanced workouts when I was a lower belt - I still look forward to them now, but for other reasons. The class is fairly intimidating, but the people are all really cool about it. Okay... so stuff I learned today.

While free sparring:
1. Keep torso up
2. Don't raise hands while kicking
3. Watch that front leg (Raymond: 6, Elaine's knees: 0)
4. Work on foot work
5. Kick through while free sparring with Vera (or anyone, I suppose)
6. A bruise to the inner knee heals very slowly (injured last week, still tender, Raymond had nothing to do with it)
7. Watch that head (Raymond: 4, Elaine's head: 0)

While working dagger defenses in 16-step, the only rule was that only the point mattered in this exercise. So, as Steve Brown put it, "a screwdriver defense."
1. There is no such thing as a dagger defense.
2. If you're open handed against a dagger, you'd better run because survival rate is very low.
3. If you're open handed against a dagger, you'd better expect to get cut.
4. While throwing people with a dagger in their hand... be very careful, because you can slit your own wrists.
5. While throwing people with a dagger in their hand... be careful, because you can slit your own throat.
6. While throwing people with a dagger in their hand... boy, this is dangerous.
7. screwdriver << knife with one edge << knife with two edges << knife with two edges and two points << knife with two edges and two points and a blade out the other end.
8. This means, therefore, that the more complicated knives that you see out there are to prevent people from grabbing wrists.
9. Don't block a knife straight into your opposite shoulder.

Conclusion? I know nothing. I'm a clumsy little kid, toddling along with the big kids in workout. But it was so much fun!

Went climbing afterwards on Kevin's membership (one free pass a month). Got my butt whupped on a couple of climbs, and again figured out that I'm just short and so not everything's going to work for me. But it was a nice evening overall with Kevin and his friend Mike.


Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$> *   (0) comments
Post a Comment

Home