Posted
10:55 PM
by spitgirl
DAMNED STAIRS
Okay, so day 2 of full bruising. Most of them have come out with beautiful colorations, but the one that hurts the most, right on my shinbone, hasn't shown one sign of changing color. How disappointing. For some odd reason, I decided to do a double workout today - who knows, I'm probably feeling some residual guilt for not going on Sunday.
So, I decided to go to the afternoon workout in addition to the evening workout. The afternoon workout is always very fun - Dr. Ur was teaching, and he always picks on the brown belts and red belts to help out. One of the first things we did after a Lucille warm-up (she really could be so much more evil with the cardio - at least, I'd probably be) was to pull out some barriers and do barrier rolls. Yes! The brown belts (Snehal, Kent, and I) also got to show off over seven air shields, and I kept on whacking myself. I really must learn to reach out a lot more to protect my shoulders.
Then we started working on our 16-step exercises. What can we say about that? It was a beginner's class.
So, during the second workout, Laura made the announcement - the whole class was going to run stairs. Here I was, thinking that I was going to not do stairs because I was feeling so bruised that sometimes it hurt to walk... and I had to run stairs. Poor me. But I went out there anyhow, tried to complain, but ran the stairs anyhow, finishing with a not quite too lame score of 8:17. My best time is just over 8:00. I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, I'm starting to overtrain a little bit. I should be improving, not going the other direction.
But after a number of lanes of blocks and wushu-style kicks (Kenny, of course, was having a ball), we were off to work on our 16-steps. Vera chose to teach us one of the fireman's carries. Once again, I need help! But I had Kenny as my partner and we had a ball working on it. At the end, Laura had all of us demonstrate one 16-step in groups. Of course the browns and the reds got to do theirs - I chose to do one of the easier ones, the "Captain Kirk" sacrifice throw that looks oh so flashy but was soooo nice for the bruised shins and knee. (Kapoing! Kenny goes flying, I do arm bar finish-off and ki-hap my head off while pretending to kick his head.)
So... tiring. But as it's 11pm on a school night, it's time to sign off and stop complaining. Just a reminder, of course... hankido is all about pain. Ooooh yeah, baby. Ooooh yeah.