Posted
7:07 PM
by spitgirl
NATHAN DAY!
Yay! Today was Nathan Day! But because this is a martial arts blog, I'm going to write first about taekwondo... Miss Aloi pulled through and got me a paddle and a set of shinguards! Yay! I'm all happy, though I haven't had a chance to play with them yet. Very fun, though, and I'm all set for any trip I have coming up (such as the beyootiful trip I have planned to UC Riverside to gig next month.
Our warm up had elements of hankido in it, forward rolls and backward rolls, and then forward rolls into slap. Easy as pie, but my tricep started straining. And then we ran those evil 1-10 lines that Miss Aloi does, and I did crunches instead of pushups because of my tricep. Nrrrgh. I hope it gets better by Saturday. I really do.
Afterwards, we spent the rest of the class working on our curriculum stuff. I learned the paegul #1 (I think that's how you pronounce it - note to self, must check with Shea, Micah, or Currie to figure out what I'm learning). For my own edification, this is how it goes:
1. Front stance left, left down block.
2. Step into front stance, out to in block.
3. Turn 180', right front stance, right down block
4. Step into front stance, out to in block.
5. Step left 90' into front stance, down block.
6. Step into back stance, in to out block.
7. Step into back stance, in to out block.
8. Step into front stance, body punch, KI-HAP
9. 270' turn to the left into back stance, knife hand body block.
10. Step into back stance, out to in block.
11. 180' turn to the right into back stance, knife hand body block.
12. Step into back stance, out to in block.
13. Step 90' left into front stance, down block.
14. Step into front stance, out to in karate chop
15. Step into front stance, out to in karate chop
16. Step into front stance, body punch, ki-hap.
17. 270' turn to the left, down block.
18. Step into front stance, out to in block.
19. 180' turn to the left, down block.
20. Step into front stance, out to in block.
21. "Parou, back to jumbi stance!"
Sigh. I think I got half those wrong. Will have to run it through again. I'll also need to learn the basic counter kicks #1 and a board break before I can belt again. Thank goodness I have until December to learn all this...
Nathan woke up this afternoon about a half an hour after I arrived, and strayed between cranky and lovely all day. Karen and I went for a walk this afternoon as well, which put him into better spirits. The kid is cutting a third tooth (upper right) and is pulling himself up into a standing position. Kids change so quickly... aick... how could I ever work and be a mom at the same time? I'd miss out on so much!