Posted
10:36 PM
by spitgirl
HUMILITY
They say that the true mark of a martial artist is humility. Well, I was humbled (a nicer word than "humiliated," don't you think?) today again during late workout. Due to homework and other issues, I decided not to work out early today but instead to save it for the late workout. We started out warming ourselves up until about 6pm, then did multiple rounds of free sparring. Yes. Humility. I'm learning so much right now it's almost impossible to encapsulate what I'm learning into written form.
+ As a smaller person, I should always Y-block or have one hand up, one hand down, both protecting the center line.
+ I should avoid kicks by getting off the center line and not just jumping back.
+ I should continue to drive until you run out of things to do. Good signature combos. Continue turning in the same direction.
+ I should continue working with Laura.
+ Charles is hard to work with, being about 6'5" and all limbs. However, he's also a very good teacher. He let me get a takedown when he'd grabbed me.
+ Randy. Ummm... when someone can grab your leg, make sure your leg goes down almost immediately. No floating legs. (I went flying and almost got the wind knocked out of me.)
The rest of the time I spent working on demo material with Steve, Laura, Victor, and Mike Ashley (who is another one of those guys that is referred to by both first and last names, though his name is technically Mike Ashley-Lopez). We're giving a demo tomorrow evening, and I'm maybe 80% prepared for it...
I think Paul said it best