Hankido
Church People
John Woo
Cindy Liu
Hankido People
Lucille
Kenny

Wednesday, November 06, 2002


THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR JELL-O!

Oh, my knees! My hips! Ow ow ow... but a good ow ow ow it is.

First workout with Dr. Ur, he once again asked me to lead workout. I was feeling a little spry and wanted to work on people's ki-haps, so I started them running... then got them changing directions every few seconds, "encouraging" them to ki-hap loud. Louder! LOUDER! What's wrong, guys? I'm only one person, you're ten... I shouldn't be louder! I ran them through some drills, including the "superman" drills, which Dr. Ur said, "Oh, that looks good for kicks," and got down and did them with us. I love it when that happens. :)

We then worked on some falls ("just to warm up") but we taught knee-under fall today as well. Then we went through about half an hour of blocks... and then spent fifteen minutes on 16-step, which was supposed to be the topic. Oh well.

The second workout, there were no stairs! Just a bunch of us in lines punching and kicking to some really awesome, pumping music, courtesy Laura. It's the best cardio workout I've had since I stopped running, and besides the fact that I ripped my pants during one of the exercises, it was overall quite an enjoyable half an hour. Afterwards, we split up into groups and did 16-step.

The browns and reds were together working on game-face. We had Vera, who immediately had us doing one-ones and working on rhythm and being scary. When we weren't scary enough for her, she had us making contact with each other, kicking and punching each other. Paul tells me that many people don't feel as if they can really whale on someone... well, Vera made us do it to the point of pain. I was consciously pulling my kicks... I know if I was in a danger situation, that control would be totally gone and that person's ribs would be toast. Toast, I tell you!

So after that, the reds split off to work on their 16-steps, and the browns worked on three different 16-steps - turning wrist throw (known colloquially as "number 2"), the jumping kick (known colloquially as "number 6"), and the tiger throw. My neck got extended a bit (I wanna be a giraffe!) while Sam was throwing me, but overall I thought it was very productive. Vera walked around giving us tips as we were working on them.

To clean up, we had James and Victor show off three 16-steps each to the rest of the class, using their best game face. I'll quote Kiki on this one: "Oooh pretty!"


Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$> *   (0) comments
Post a Comment

Home