Hankido
Church People
John Woo
Cindy Liu
Hankido People
Lucille
Kenny

Monday, November 11, 2002


THPAR

As I'm typing, I'm icing both my knees, a shin, and an ankle. Not to say that my knees really need icing, but I managed to bruise my left shin fairly seriously today.

The workout started at 1:30; Paul and I started talking this weekend about doing some extra training, and working 16-step. So we were working it quite a bit more, just a balance break. We spent a fair amount of time on the spring hip throw and the tiger throw. I'm not quite getting the spring hip throw, except for the one little tidbit about having to come in perpendicular to the other person. Dr. Link came in near 3pm and noticed me doing a tiger throw, and came over to help out our technique a little bit. It was some refinement work and really showed a little extra finesse, but I still didn't get it quite nearly well enough as I should have. It involved cranking over the head as I went around, which cinched the throwee and helped with the throw. I also took one really weird fall that basically jammed my shinguard into my shin and gave me the weirdest shin splint feeling. Paul apologized profusely but he said it looked textbook. And it probably was, I'm just not sure about it.

So 3pm, and the real workout started. Today's topic was trithalon, which is kind of a misnomer because there are four rounds. The four rounds are: kicks and punches (above the waist, TKD style), standing throws, matwork, and then free sparring. So, a list of people I worked with today:

Lucille. Matwork and free sparring. Learned not to give up. Learned that we both sacrifice kicks for the sake of another kick. (Block! We must block1)
Sarah. Free sparring, I think. Stay away from knees.
Lisa. Standing throws and matwork. Need to be patient with off balancing. Must work with Lisa more.
Ben. Standing throws and TKD. Straight-armed people suck. Need to get out of their range and then pluck at something.
Dr. Link. Free sparring and matwork. Good teacher. Got backhanded across the temple, so have to remember to protect my head. I have "good instincts" but need to work with the likes of Susan, Laura, and Lisa. And probably Steve.
Steve. One-ones. Comment was that I'm getting better. I suppose it's really good that he's noticing I'm improving. I must practice more.
Lynn. Going close might help. Glad I didn't get TKD style sparring with her.

5:30pm, after playing with Duc's new puppy, back on the mat for some additional work. Worked on the front entry rice thresher for about half an hour before realizing that my shin hurt pretty badly and that my ankle wasn't doing much better. Decided to change and go home and eat dinner with the parents. So... one thrasher of a workout, and lots of fun at that!


Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$> *   (0) comments
Post a Comment

Home