Posted
1:29 PM
by spitgirl
VELOCIRAPTOR
You'd figure that I've been doing this blog thing for so long, I wouldn't forget to do it. Well, so it happened for the second day in a row - I forgot to blog! So here's Tuesday's workouts...
I felt sick Monday. So I skipped workout.
Tuesday being TKD day, I went to class as usual. After a VERY light warmup (no more than five minutes), we stretched out and had a long time to work on curriculum stuff. I worked on my Pal Gae #1 (the first form in the Pal Gae series), which I really do need work on. Then I decided to work on the other stuff, only for Miss Aloi to come over and tell me that I have limp fists and that I need to work on that. All this time people have spent telling me that I need to relax, and it turns out I relaxed too much. "No dinosaur hands!" was what she eventually called it. It brought to mind my ex-bandmate David Anderson's velociraptor impression, which was quite amusing.
But I did get in the reps and I'm fairly secure in my attacks/counterkicks form.
That evening, I did something special - I dressed out on the UCB mat as a brown belt... in TKD... teaching HKD stuff. I was assisting the venerable Dave Currie in teaching some basic self-defense to the taekwondo green/blue class. We only had enough time to teach some basic wrist escapes - the basic escape, an underhand grab, an overhand grab (both from same-side grab), and then the motorcycle grip from the cross-hand grab.
Let's back up a little bit. I have tight wrists and shoulders, which makes me the -perfect- subject for these maneuvers, because they work REALLY well on me. So Dave, demonstrating a technique, generally had me doing a painful little dance. It didn't help that he was doing most of this on my right hand side (which was fine until he was lecturing and plucking at my healing pinky to demonstrate "pinky" and then at my thumb to demonstrate "thumb").
Charles showed up to chat with TKD people, so I got him to come on the mat and help instruct, which was a lot of fun as well.
Go Mike. Thanks for inviting me on the mat, bro'.