Posted
11:45 PM
by spitgirl
I didn't go to hankido on Friday - I was on my way to Lake Tahoe to snowboard with some people from the club. Ohhh, it was painful. So painful, in fact, that I ended up with a big fat bruise on my butt. Not very appealing, but it was somewhat icy and one can expect to get dinged up a little bit. Got back in town on Sunday and ended up going to hankido anyway. Missed Jon Bertsch's seminar (anyone want to summarize it?) but made the review to cover "groundwork." (Of course I spent most of the time working with white belts and trying to keep my injured derriere from hitting the ground.)
Dr. Link talked about the scarf hold (my fave!) and about some of the cool things you can do from a scarf hold, including turning the scarf hold into a carrot peeler. Once the person's arm escapes and flails across them, you can take it and wedge it across their face and then shift your weight to cover their face. Instant carrot peeler. Those were his two topics. He traded off with Chris.
Chris Peterson then talked about the "reverse scarf hold," which is basically just that - a reverse scarf hold. You insert your body between head and shoulder and wedge the arm on that side underneath your arm. You then grab underneath their arm at their belt. At that point in time, you can sit back and smother them, or if they struggle too much, tuck your head into their stomach. The entry for this hold is from the front press.
His second topic was opening someone up from the turtle position. If they're in a really tight turtle, you can roll them over by simply pushing. You can also wedge something - an arm or a foot - into a crevice and pry. The third thing you can do is what Chris showed. Insert your arm between their arm and leg and reach for their wrist. Pull their wrist and turn around their center of mass away from that arm. From there you can get a simple arm bar or something else fun.
Paul also said there were some weird movement drills but I can't remember them off-hand. Anyone remember?
After workout, I got Chris to teach me some of the massage points in the lower body, which I've been missing for quite a while.