Posted
11:53 PM
by spitgirl
I skipped workout on Monday because I needed my rear to heal. But I finished putting together a self-defense seminar for Tuesday - confirmed with the instructor, Steve, and the TAs, my fellow browns and reds from the hankido class. We were to join the 6:30pm taekwondo class and work out with them. It was a lot of fun - I think the hankido people had a blast warming up with the taekwondo class.
Some of the things I learned from Steve's lecture.
1. Self defense is 90% being aware. If you get to a physical situation, you've already failed that part of the test.
2. Self defense does not cover drunken brawls. If you're in one of them, you need to have your ego checked out.
3. Rapes are mostly from acquaintances and on dates, not the random stranger on the street.
4. Alcohol does not help the situation.
We then worked on some drills using what the taekwondo people already knew, from reacting to pushes to linear kicks and kicks from the ground. Steve taught his favorite "how to get up" drill - front kick into side kick into back kick from the ground, and then run from there.
The last thing we covered were some of the holds situation. From a choke, one always shrugs and tucks the head into a "turtle" position to remove the choking hazard. Then one can grab fingers or simply tuck and push the elbow away and then start running. From a hold from behind, one can reach back and pinch and twist some skin on the inside of the leg near the seam. Just a little bit, and the person will flinch away.
Mucho thanks to all of the people who helped out with the seminar - Steve, Lily C., George, Nate, Kent, and Kenny! It was a success.